11.09.2007

grocery experiment, tofu scramble, chickpea casserole,


Wow, my internet service provider hates me. I tried to post this dinner twice last night and both times my internet cut out before I had it saved. So, here I am a day late, per usual, posting about yesterdays food as I cook tonights. Okay! A few days ago, Joni at Just the Food blogged about The Great Grocery Experiment of 2007 and I thought it was genius! So, what did I do? Went to the store to stock up on bread & soymilk because we would be reduced to tears without them. I'd hate to even imagine Shae's reaction to a day without a peanut butter sandwich! I always try to switch it for something more interesting, but then he'll say "Instead of the snack can I have a PB sandwich?". I've given up. He might turn into a big pile of wheat bread and peanut butter one day. I'm okay with that. Anyway, soymilk and bread. I can't believe I'm doing this, but this is the contents of our pantry & fridge. Yep, that's a huge walk-in pantry, except you can't even see the floor due to the massive amounts of food. Ack!



I know you are all jealous of the case of Tings! Shae is inhaling them. Okay, I am too. Whatever. And I'm pretty embarrassed to be showing off our worst vice- bottled water. I know, I know. It's awful and wasteful and I feel like such a shit for using it. Our well water is brownish and tastes disgusting, so it is not drinkable. We've tried MANY different types of filters with no luck. We really should at least buy big containers instead of the little ones, but we don't. I do not endorse bottled water drinking! Do as I say, kids, not as I do!

And onto the food! First we have my breakfast yesterday: a simple tofu scramble with spinach. This is the closest thing I've tasted to egg, it was crazy! I'm not even sure how. It was really basic. garlic, tumeric, cumin, oregano? I don't even remember what else. Had lots and lots of spinach in it too which was soooooooo good. Had the leftovers for breakfast this morning too.


A funny thing with Shae and tofu scramble. He thinks he hates them, but he really doesn't! He had some once and didn't like it. Another time (nearly the same scramble! from Vegan with a Vengeance), I told it was a "Tofu Stirfry" and magically he loved it. I'm so amused by little things like that. I don't believe in hiding stuff in kids foods or tricking them into eating stuff, because I think you are doing them a HUGE disservice in the process, but I am really fascinated by the power of suggestion and word. Shae's a smart guy, you can't get a lot past him in other ways. But poof! A scramble is a stirfry and all is right with the world. (and oh crap. he's about to read this and the jig will be UP!)

Erm, next up was last night's dinner. We had a bunch of broccoli that we needed to use, so of courrssseee that means VWaV's Chickpea Broccoli Casserole. Left out the onions to please the boy. Also, made the Cheesy Sauce from Veganomicon...ohhhh boy am I going to be making that often. So good. So versatile. whoa. We all loved it so much. Thank you Isa & Terry! <3 <3 <3



We're so not making that again without adding the cheesy sauce. Made it magical!

2 comments:

Webly said...

a simple cheesy sauce recipe is essential in a vegan kitchen. You can always dress it up and use it to dress other foods with. Looks great!

JBirch22 said...

I just want to say I'm absolutely loving your blog so far! I've been reading it from the beginning, and as someone who plans to raise vegan children it's been very entertaining and educational to read :)

The only thing I find a bit unsettling is how much unfermented soy you use (eg tofu, etc). I'd encourage you to read about the dangers of soy http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/ and perhaps reconsidering your favourite meat substitute. I did.